knitting

an experiment in knitting

I’ve been trying to find something to knit, but lately, everything I’ve tried has ended up getting frogged before I got even a quarter of the way through. I don’t know what it is, nothing just seems to hold my attention. But winter is coming (or, well, it’s already here, really) and I need a hat (among other things) because all my old hats are stretched out and loose and don’t really keep my ears warm when they’re supposed to.

So I started trolling Ravelry looking for patterns, and ran into the same problem: nothing catches my eye. I can’t even decide on what kind of hat I want. Do I want a slouchy hat, or a toque, or a beret-type thing, or something else entirely? But I need something so I figured what the hell, I’ll improvise.

I’m knitting it sideways, with the cable intended as the brim, and the other half of the fabric to be folded inside to double the thickness. I’m not sure if this is actually a good idea, because it might end up being too thick. When I considered that earlier today, though, I decided that I’m more than a third of the way through already, I might as well keep going and see how it turns out. If it ends up being too thick when it’s done, I can always frog it and try again with a single-layer version.  Although at the rate this is going and taking into account the way the weather has been getting colder and colder, I might end up having to do the unthinkable (for a knitter) and going to a store and buying a ready-made hat. *gasp*

The body of the hat is garter stitch, and the cable is a 24-stitch 2×2 rib cable, which, because it’s based on a different pattern, is also reversible, which in this case is not necessary. If I were to write this pattern up, I’d probably end up making it non-reversible, but it would definitely stay as a rib cable, because I absolutely love the way it looks. There are also some (slightly miscalculated) short rows near what will be the top of the hat, to narrow it ever so slightly and not make it a simple tube when the stitches there are pulled together. I’m not sure if they’re necessary, actually, but I’m getting my inspiration from the 114-31 a – Hat knitted from side to side with cables and garter st pattern and so I’m sticking with the short rows from that for now. As this is pretty much an experimental knit, I’m kind of flying by the seat of my pants, but hey maybe I can get something cool out of it in the end.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.