FO: Amy’s Scarf

What do I do when I’ve got a lot of work with a relaxed deadline and no desire to actually sit and work? I finish up old knitting projects, among other things. This one has been sitting in a box since October last year, waiting for the right time. Now, the middle of the summer might not exactly be the “right” time for blocking wool scarves, but hopefully, given that it’s August already, it’ll start cooling off more soon and I can get some wear out of it.

The scarf is called Amy’s Scarf and is of course inspired by the lovely scarf Amy Pond wore in the “Vampires of Venice” and “Vincent and the Doctor” episodes of Doctor Who. I wanted to make it for a long time, but I didn’t have the right yarn, or the right color, and also proper non-acrylic yarn is pretty expensive here in Poland, so it was a while before I had what I needed.

It’s not quite the shade of red that I had originally wanted, that being more in the fire-engine red hues, but this raspberry reddish shade is also lovely. I managed to get it just the right length, too, so it can be just thrown over the shoulder without dangling too much, and if I choose to wrap it around my neck, it won’t get too thick.

Pattern: “Amy’s Scarf” by Amy van de Laar [Ravel it!
: GARNSTUDIO Drops Lace (70% alpaca, 30% silk) in #3620 Red, ~1.46 skeins
: 3.0 mm (US 2 1/2) KnitPicks Options
Finished size: 37 cm x 192 cm

Start date: March 11, 2015.
Finish date
: October 11, 2015.

I knitted it almost at the same time as the Ballerina Waves shawl I made for my cousin, plus summer came up along the way, so that probably accounts for how long it took. Summer + wool, no matter if it’s lace weight = DO NOT WANT.

I’d never knitted with this yarn before, but I love it. It’s soft and lovely to the touch, and handles the rigors of blocking very well. I didn’t block very aggressively, mainly because I didn’t want to make it too long or too wide, but also because I was worried I would run out of room.

(As you can see, Natasha is completely overcome by how straight the line is.)

At some point in the knitting process, I started thinking that maybe I should have been working on even smaller needles. The Frost Flowers pattern is very open, and I kept wondering how it would look if it was a bit closer together. But at that point, I was already too far along and didn’t feel like starting over.

I’m not really happy with how the ends came out – once again my skills in binding off are a bit lacking – but I guess it’s one of those things that mainly concern the person who made the thing rather than anyone else.

Overall, though, I’m very pleased with how it turned out. The openness of the stitches makes it really airy and light, and makes the whole thing feel wispy and barely-there. On the other hand, the alpaca content means that if I want to wrap it up around my neck, it’ll provide the necessary warmth, while the silk content ensures that it’ll be nice and soft.

(Bucky approves of the final product as well.)

Overall, the pattern itself is really easy – once you do the repeat 2-3 times, you start doing it from memory and you don’t have to consult the chart. It’s patterned on both sides, so you do have to pay attention, though, and even if you’ve mostly memorized things, it’s worth keeping the chart handy just in case (I had to consult it every few repeats, mostly just because I kept putting it away and picking it up after a longer break, so a refresher was necessary.

I don’t know what I’m going to work on next – I haven’t really knitted anything lately, beyond a simple 2×2 rib scarf that I take out every now and then, which has been in progress for a super long time. I’m sure once it gets cooler, I’ll pick up the needles again, if only to make a hat to go with the scarf, plus I need to review the state of my hats and scarves and gloves before winter.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.